Pages

Monday, January 02, 2006

Reflections

Heather posted this, and I figured it would be a good way to not think about the wedding for 10 minutes, so I'll give it a try.

1. What did you do in 2005 that you had never done before?
My first kiss comes to mind...I fell in love...everything related to that was a first for me. I also preached my first sermon here (not ever, but here in Waverly).

2.Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't recall making any, so that works. Mine for right now is to lose 5 or 10 pounds before the wedding. I'm not worried about pulling it off - Lord, please let the birth control not sabotage my efforts!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Mandee and Heather are two I can think of right now.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not close to me - Matt's grandmother and Ivan and Evelyn Epley are the three I can remember from last year.

5. What countries did you visit?
No new ones - some fun trips, though!

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
How about a husband?

7. What dates will remain etched in your memory and why?
Too many to count, but I'll try to remember as many as I can.
January 21, because my birthday was very fun.
May 15 - I had a kidney stone.
May 22 - Matt and I went to coffee and hung out for the first time.
July 4 - Our first REAL date
July 18 - My first kiss! (Sorry if that's too much information, but I won't be forgetting that one!)
October 1 - My sister Beth's wedding
October 14-17 - Our trip to New York
December 10 - Our engagement day!

So many other great memories, but I'll leave it at that for now.

8. What's your biggest achievement of the year?
I was pretty proud of children's ministries training sessions we held in April. Public speaking has been a fear of mine, but I felt that I learned a lot through that experience and made some headway in feeling more confident at speaking in front of other people.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I can't think of anything I really bombed at. And if I do, I'm not totally sure I'll tell you.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I'm generally fairly healthy - the kidney stone came out of nowhere. But it would definitely fit in this category.

11.What was the best thing you bought?
I could say clothes (too many to specify). Maybe my wedding dress. But I really enjoyed buying the corner shelf for Matt's new house and surprising him when I gave it to him. And shopping for his Christmas presents.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Our staff came through the pastoral transition closer than we were before - that was quite a feat, and God was so good to us through it all. I am proud of every one of my fellow ministers alongside whom I am so privileged to work.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and disgusted?
Can I just say Democrats in general? And the many celebrities who exhibit such a lack of wisdom at character that it is quite appalling...

14. Where did most of your money go?
Clothes...bills...all that jazz.

15. What did you get really, really excited about?
Getting engaged more than anything else. But also about going to New York, Christmas in general, and all the fun things about dating Matt.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
I am so music-oriented that it would be impossible to choose one song for the many moments of 2005. I could list a few, but it would become a mile-long playlist, so I won't even start.

17. Compared to this time last year are you?
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) fatter or thinner? I think I weigh 5 pounds more or so...not sure. I'm better off not to check.
c) richer or poorer? richer in many ways

18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Loving, forgiving, hugging, sharing, trusting.

19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Worrying or stressing.

20. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
I spent it working on wedding stuff, cleaning around the house, having dinner with Matt and Bill and Natalie, and hanging out with some band-related people.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005?
Absolutely.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
I'm not sure on this - maybe "King of Queens."

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I hope not.

24. What was the best book you read?
I've read a bunch of great relationship books, but above all, Captivating was the most impacting book I read.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
It might be Queen if you can believe it.

26. What did you want and get?
I wanted someone to love, and God brought him.

27. What did you not want and not get?
Umm, bird flu?

28. What was your favorite film this year?
I don't know, honestly. Was "The Phantom of the Opera" this year? I want to say it was; if so, then that for sure.

29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Worked, ate dinner at Texas Roadhouse with my dear friends, and had coffee and dessert at Bil and Natalie's. And was handcuffed by a policeman for the first time in my life. I was 27.

30. What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying?
Trusting God more and worrying less would always make life more satisfying for me. But not much else - it was a pretty amazing year.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion in 2005?
Maybe...clearance chic?

32. What kept you sane?
My relationship with God, my friends, and Matt

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I read Karen Hughes' book - that's the only public figure I can think of that really fascinated me (in a good way at least).

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Immigration gets me going...and always abortion.

35. Who did you miss?
Maggie. My sisters. My parents and Tyler. My Ethe.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Does Matt count? Do I have a one-track mind or what?

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005.
God has once again proven Himself faithful, and I learn it more every single year. This one was no exception.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime;
Say the word and I will follow you.
Share each day with me, each night, each morning;
Say you love me.
Love me, that's all I ask of you."

That's it - like Heth, I'm tagging everyone who is reading this, so join in if you want to. It's a nice opportunity to reflect on a year before starting into the next one. Happy new year to all.

5 comments:

Heth said...

Ok, two things totally cracked me up....

*the bird flu

*clearance chic

Yay for 2005! Hooray for 2006!

Amie said...

Uhh, handcuffed by a policeman? Did I get that right?

You had a great 2005! Woohoo!

Tina said...

Yeah, I'd sure like to hear more about that handcuff story.. :)

Angela said...

I love how I got all of you with the handcuffs...I may leave the mystery and just not explain it. It sounds cooler that way.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Phantom of the Opera too!!!! You know, the first time I watched it and heard the Phantom's singing voice, I had kind of a hard time with it, but now I wouldn't change it!!! AWESOME movie!!